The International Association for Military Geosciences invites you to the 12th International Conference on Military Geosciences, Stellenbosch, 18 to 23 June 2017, and the Post Conference Field Excursion, 24 – 30 June 2017.
The theme of the conference is “The scope, reach and impact of Military Geosciences”. For more information regarding accommodation etc. please visit the conference website at http://www.icmg12.co.za/ . Alternatively, to request more specific information e-mail Hennie Smit or Jacques Bezuidenhout at ICMG@ma2.sun.ac.za.
LOCATION AND FORMAT
The five-day conference will take place at the picturesque Lanzerac Wine Estate (http://www2.lanzerac.co.za) in the scenic university town of Stellenbosch, about 50 kilometres from Cape Town.
The conference will host military geoscientists (academics and students) from around the world and feature the following:
- Presentations from distinguished international and South African scholars and researchers.
- Field trips: Attendees will explore the rich cultural and physical geography of the Cape Winelands and the Cape Town metropolitan region through informative excursions during the conference. This will include a full day visit to the Cape Peninsula, including Cape Point, as well as a half day excursion to the Castle – the oldest existing European building in South Africa.
- A welcoming function on Sunday evening and dinner on Monday evening (all lunches and coffee breaks are included).
- A Conference banquet.
The six-day post-conference Battlefield tour will include the following:
- Return flights from Cape Town International to King Shaka International in Durban.
- All transport, meals and accommodation.
- Visit the Drakensberg – the scenic escarpment dividing the coastal province of KwaZulu – Natal from the interior.
- Visits to four of the pivotal battles fought on South African soil, as well as viewing the Big Five.
Abstracts (oral and posters) must not exceed 300 words. They must include the title, author(s), lead author’s affiliation and email address, as well as an indication of whether the abstract is for an oral or a poster presentation. Final acceptance is contingent on registration and payment. Send abstracts to Hennie Smit at ICMG@ma2.sun.ac.za.
REGISTRATION, PAYMENT AND IMPORTANT DATES
Early bird registration (until 31 March 2017): R 8900.00
Normal registration (from 1 April to 19 May 2017): R 9800.00
Post conference tour (must be paid in full by 31 March 2017): R 21 600.00
Last date for abstract submission: 19 May 2017
Last date for registration and payment: 11 June 2107
To register and pay for the conference and post conference tour, please complete the registration form on the website and follow the instructions to effect payment.
More information about the conference, preliminary scientific programme, timeline and key deadlines for registration and submission of abstracts, etc. can be found at the conference website. Alternatively, to request more specific information e-mail Hennie Smit or Jacques Bezuidenhout at ICMG@ma2.sun.ac.za.